About Me

My photo
This is a type of journal where I share my thoughts and feelings on being a mom, wife, woman, on horses and housekeeping, and life in general. I suppose I don't want to write all these things in my permanent journal because for me that's more for posterity and this is more just for me. If you want to read more about my family and events go to troyandalie@gmail.com

Friday, May 20, 2011

One....more.... week....

The multiple periods in the title in between words can be read as gasping breaths, such as one who is at the end of the marathon, crawling on hands and knees sucking huge gulps of air as they crawl to the finish line that is finally in sight. That is what I feel like. I'm convinced the first two weeks and the last two weeks of a job are the hardest. My brain can't take it anymore! I confess my temper is somewhat shorter than previously and my patience is wearing thin. I want summer!!!
As I look back I would like to share with you, my dear hypothetical readers, some insights I have gained over the past nine months. Keep in mind that at times I literally felt like i had three kids so the insights are somewhat maternal. Here goes....

1- Pre-emptive strikes are wonderful and necessary when getting through the day with children. Strikes such as "If you hit him you will get a time out" or "don't ride that stroller down the staircase" or especially "leave your clothes on!". Such things prevent more work and frustration in the long run.

2- Two choices. Stick to them. "you can have noodles or a sandwich for lunch" if they want mac and cheese and you don't feel like making mac and cheese, this helps chase thoughts of it from their minds.

3- kids sure are perseverant. When they say things like "can I have ice cream" and they haven't even had breakfast yet so of course you say no, they keep asking. I don't know what good they think it's going to do. I personally took the route of repeating myself only twice and then ignoring them. And then ignoring the tantrum to follow. It's rough but man! I hate repeating myself.

4- One more thought... I don't know if it takes more energy to yell and scream or to keep calm. I appreciate that I had the opportunity to practice dealing with different situations calmly. Sometimes I was successful and sometimes I wasn't. I liked that I got to practice the advice i found in my Parenting magazine and find out some of the things that work for me and things that don't. I honestly feel more prepared (though I hardly believe you can ever be fully prepared for what life throws your way) for my own kids and how I want to treat and act towards them.

No comments:

Post a Comment