I remember when I realized my mom didn't really cook for us kids. I was probably in my late teens. I realized she cooked for my dad and made enough for the rear of us. I was so disappointed. Now I make lunch for two kids each day and you know what? It's way more fun to cook for Troy, who appreciates the rosemary I put in my homemade spaghetti sauce than it is to cook for he kids who would rather eat the cheap stuff from the can nuked in the microwave. Or hot dogs.
I remember (Again I think I was in my late teens) when it dawned on me that my mom has a sense of humor. I feel bad it took me so long. Today after I repeated more straight-faced tight-lipped requests because asking nicely wasn't getting anywhere ( I really rarely yell, if ever) and I felt my face turning into stone I wondered if my kids would ever know I have a sense of humor (albeit a dry one)
Today I thought of how great my mom is for staying home with us, bored and lonely as she was, as I sat babysitting five extra kids ( Mom has six) while tending to my own feverish child all day. Bored, stranded, and lonely.
I think I might be finally growing up
I think it's interesting the points in our life that we realize that are parents are normal people and just like us. Also, I think that we should be parents before we are kids. That way we would've been nicer to our parents.
ReplyDelete